Asian Pop-Up Cinema Season V will run September 20th through November 15th, 2017
Most films will be shown at AMC River East 21, 322 E. Illinois Street
Season V introduces 11 new feature films previously entered in prestigious 2017 film festivals (including the Toronto International Film Festival, Udine Far East Film Festival, New York Asian Film Festival and Sundance Film Festival), and have been intentionally selected for Chicago’s audiences .
Festival highlights include 7 Midwest premieres:
- “The Gangster’s Daughter”, a Taiwanese drama about a rebellious teen reunited with her gangster father, causing him to question his life of crime
- “Youth”, a Feng Xiaogang film about a performing art troupe who each face their own trials and tribulations after escaping a family scandal
- “My Dad and Mr. Ito”, a Japanese comedy about a young woman and her much older boyfriend who live together comfortably in a modest apartment until her father moves in
- “Spli’t,a Korean drama with about the rise of lowlifes at a bowling alley
- “Teiichi-Battle Of Supreme High”, a live-action version of the manga inspired comedy about blue-blooded teens battling for the student council presidency
- “Motherland”, a documentary of the planet’s busiest maternity hospital in one of it’s poorest countries: the Philippines
- “Bad Genius”, a thriller from Thailand about lazy rich kids who coerce a genius high school student into cheating on college entrance exams
First-time visiting Directors attending Season V’s festival include Taiwan’s Chen MeiJuin of “The Gangster’s Daughter” and Thailand’s Nattawut ‘Baz’ Poonpiriya of “Bad Genius.” New York Film Critic Simon Abrams of RogerEbert.com will be a guest speaker at“Our Time Will Come,” a drama about ordinary people under occupation who fight for freedom and independence in Hong Kong during the Japanese occupation.
.“We have reached a mini-milestone for a fast-growing boutique film festival in a short time, and couldn’t be prouder of the ongoing support in bridging the differences between the East and West cultures, and fostering the general public’s appreciation of Asian cultures through film gems!” states Founder & Executive Director, Sophia Wong Boccio.
Asian Pop-Up Cinema Season V will run September 20th-November 15th at the AMC River East 21, Tickets are $13.00 for regular screenings and $15.00 for films with directors and other special guests in attendance. Special 2-3-4 Passes ($10 per film) are available for screenings held at AMC River East 21 only. Patrons can choose 2 Japanese Films Pass, 3 Women Directors’ Films Pass, 4 Chinese Films Pass. Senior discounts are available for adults 60+. Students with valid IDs will enjoy free admissions.
To purchase tickets in advance, go to www.asianpopupcinema.org/tickets
To watch the festival sneak peek, go to http://www.asianpopupcinema.org/season-v-announcement
A Q&A moderated by Ron Falzone, Associate Professor, Cinema and Television Arts, Columbia College, Chicago will follow each film.